Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Back on the Wagon

Interestingly the days following the chocolate festival were full of sugar cravings. Those are particularly hard to ignore when the baby is fussy and the husband is working 19 hour days. But today I decided no more giving in! I have even been successful. It wasn't a sugarless day, but it was void of candy, ice cream, and hot chocolate so I think that's a good start. Anyway, back to where I left off: New Recipes to post! These are some good ones coming up today! Let's start with desert. (I should preface this with a note that I was halving the recipe...and forgot halfway through, so my proportions were a bit off and the cinnamon and nutmeg were a bit strong, but it was still delicious! it tastes like Christmas)

Wild Apple Crunch
6 apples, peeled and sliced
3/4 Cup chopped walnuts (I vote for an even 1cup since that's how they are sold in the baking aisle...and I like walnuts)
8 dates chopped (or approx. 1/2 cup)
1 cup currants or raisins
3/4 cup water (I vote for an even 1 cup here too)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
juice of 1 orange

Preheat oven to 375
Combine all ingredients except orange juice. Place in baking dish and drizzle orange juice over top
cover and bake at 375 for 1 hr. or until all ingredients are soft, stirring occasionally. (it's fine if you don't stir...at least, mine was!)

*can also be simmered in a covered pot on the stove for 30 min.*

I think it would also be good cooked uncovered with granola sprinkled on top for extra crunch, but I haven't tried it.

Southwestern Chicken
1 cup salsa (low sodium)
1 cup black beans
1 cup corn
2 TBS fresh chopped cilantro
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

Preheat oven to 350
Mix salsa, beans, corn, and cilantro together
put 1/2 mixture over chicken and marinade for at least 1 hr.
bake chicken 30 min or until cooked through
slice chicken breasts and top with remaining salsa mixture

It's very good like this, but we also tried a variation that I think is even better! I guess you could call it more of a southwestern chicken salad.

Variation
2 cups salsa (or 1 small jar)
1 can black beans, rinsed
2 cups corn
1 or 2 avocados, chopped
4 TBS cilantro (optional)
2 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded (optional)
brown rice, cooked
whole grain tostitos chips (optional)

Mix the salsa, beans, corn, avocado, and cilantro & chill
serve over brown rice topped with shredded chicken. Extra delicious if eaten with whole grain scoops. This may be my favorite recipe so far...

Spaghetti Squash Primavera
1 medium Spaghetti Squash
1 1/2 carrots sliced
1/2 cup celery, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cup cabbage, shredded
1 small zucchini, chopped
1 can pinto beans, drained (low sodium)
1 can chopped tomatoes, drained (low sodium)
1/3 cup apple juice
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup pasta sauce
1 head romaine lettuce (optional)

Preheat oven to 350
Slice squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place both halves upside down on baking sheet. Bake for 45 min.

Meanwhile, cook carrots and celery in 2 TBS water (umm....1/4 cup or so is better, or the water cooks off too fast and the veggies burn) in a covered pan over medium heat for 10 min. stirring occasionally.

Add a little more water if needed. Add garlic, cabbage, and zucchini and cook, covered, for another 10 min. Stir in remaining ingredients except for pasta sauce. Cover and simmer 10 more min. or until carrots are tender.

When squash is done, remove from oven and, using a fork, scrape spaghetti-like strands from squash and into bowl (this is amazing). Add pasta sauce and mix well.

Mix veggies, beans, and herbs with squash/pasta sauce mixture and serve on bed of shredded romaine leaves if desired.

Ok, so it doesn't actually look that good, but it is.

*When this was cooking I didn't think I'd like it, I thought it smelled odd, but it was actually very good. Possibly a little oregano and basil could improve it further...and maybe some Parmesan sprinkled lightly on top*

2 comments:

  1. You are the first person I know to willing undertake making a spaghetti squash meal. I love spaghetti squash, but most people I've run across shudder in horror. :)

    The recipes sound delicious! Are most of the recipes you post from Eat for Health?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never encountered a spaghetti squash before, but it was really quite fun and I really liked the slight crunch (is it still a 'crunch' if it is a squishy crunch?) to the 'noodles'. Yes, most of them are from Eat for Health, it has a section at the end of book 2 (The Body Makeover) of about 175pgs. of recipes. Some have meat, some don't, some are vegan, it's a nice variety and they all have the MANDI score so you can see how nutrient dense they are.

    I'm trying to do around 2 new recipes per week (sometimes I only manage 1) and posting the ones that we like. I'd really like to try more of the breakfasts and desserts but it's harder to make time for those...I already have a built-in "make dinner" time of day =)

    ReplyDelete