Thursday, April 14, 2011

Greg's Lentil Stew of Tastiness

When Greg and Ryan were visiting last weekend, they cooked dinner one night (and helped me cook the other night, they are very pleasant house guests). On the menu was steamed kale and Greg's Lentil Stew of Tastiness. I had never had lentils. I was not entirely sure what lentils were. I had some vague suspicion that they grew in water and were kind of tendril-y. I formed this opinion based entirely on how the name sounded to me and the tone in people's voices when they talked about cooking them. I have held onto it for at least 15 years now, never having been curious enough about them to actually look up 'lentils'.

Well, I was waaaaay off. (although I do give credit to my imagination on the weird and vivid imagery it initially came up with)

Lentils are a small bean-like substance rather resembling split peas. Except lentils are cuter. and they make a VERY tasty stew...and are surprisingly healthy. Since Greg shared the recipe with me, I'm assuming he doesn't mind if I, in turn, share it with you =)

Lentil Stew of Tastiness
Olive oil
4 cups of broth or water (he used vegetable, but chicken would work too)
1/2 onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 carrots (I vote for 3-5 carrots), sliced
1 lb lentils
1 can diced or crushed tomatoes
Thyme
1 bay leaf
crushed red pepper
cumin

Sautee' onion, garlic, and carrots in a little bit of olive oil until onions are transparent.
Add thyme, crushed red pepper and some cumin...it's kind of a however much you think you'd like sort of measurement
Sautee a bit longer and add lentils, bay leaf, and broth (or water)
Cover and simmer for about an hour or until broth is absorbed
Add tomatoes, stir and simmer for a few more minutes.
Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
Then "nom nom nom!"

Goes well with rice, bread, quinoa, or just a mug and spoon. Leftovers are excellent as well!

All in all, I'm rather glad lentils aren't a slimy, tendril-y underwater plant! ...and I read an article today that said they were one of the top 10 foods to mush up and feed your baby, so there you go!

1 comment:

  1. ooh, we love lentils. they are a staple in this house in stews, soups, "sloppy lentils", baby food, and I'm even experimenting with "lentil loafs" right now to see if I can find one I like. Glad you liked Greg's lentil stew so much! Super good protein staple to have around! :)

    ReplyDelete