Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Memories

There are few things more wonderful than looking down at the perfectly content face of the baby girl who thinks you are the whole world and who does not want to be anywhere else but in your arms. I spend a lot of time looking at that face...she is a very extensive eater. The other day as I stared at her I thought how sad it was that she will retain no memory of time that I will cherish forever. I suppose the important part is that she will grow up with my love imprinted on her. Still, I thought, it's almost tragic.

Then I imagined my own mother doing the same for me. Something I have had no memory of up to this point. At that moment, I felt like I was transported back in time. Suddenly, I could see my mom sitting in a rocking chair holding me. I could see that same expression of contentment on my face. It was as if I was looking through her eyes, feeling what she must have felt 29 years ago. I don't have any memories of my infancy, but in becoming a mother myself I can share in the memories of my mom and everything takes on much more meaning.

Gazing into Lucy's eyes I wonder if someday she will have a daughter of her own and 'remember' the joy of this moment with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment