Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Picture of Parenthood

I've been meaning to write about Lucy's Valentine's Day painting for a while  now, but kept getting distracted by other stuff...so here it is: A picture of parenthood in one painting.

On Valentine's Day Lucy was 3 months and 3 weeks old. I decided that a painting by Lucy would be a great present for Jason. Conveniently for us, Valentine's was on a weekday so he was at work, leaving Lu and I free to shop for supplies and do some art. Since it was going to be her first painting I wanted it to last forever so I got an 8"x10" canvas board and some acrylic paint (which I did manage to keep out of her mouth but not off our legs and clothes).

I had a brilliant idea for a picture.
                                                           I thought...

We got green paint so I could paint Lucy's toes and do little toe prints across the bottom of the picture for grass. Then I would fingerpaint a stem and use 2 little Lucy-footprints for leaves.

We got orange paint so I could let her dip her hands in it and (with my help and guidance) make a circle of handprints at the top of the stem for a beautiful orange flower. ...we might even mix in a little yellow to make it even prettier!

Of course we got yellow paint because what is a picture of a flower without the sun shining down on it? Some nice yellow handprints radiating from the top corner of the picture should do nicely....

It didn't turn out how I planned. I gave her the tools, but the picture is all hers (well, I did fingerpaint the writing for her).




She looks pretty proud of herself and I guess this is a pretty good illustration of how life is as a parent. You can make plans but in the end....well, you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment